< Design Tools
Free Software Downloads
Micrometals, Inc. has thoroughly reviewed this design software and the equations utilized
to calculate the suggested windings and believe the information to be accurate. It is
important to note that the default settings can be altered and unacceptable designs generated.
Before using this product, the buyer agrees to determine suitability of the product for their
intended use or application. Micrometals shall not be liable for any loss or damage, including
but not limited to incidental or consequential damages as a result of the use of this software.
Micrometals will gladly offer engineering assistance and provide samples to aid in your core selection, please do not hesitate to contact your local representative or the factory directly.
The updated version offered here includes new materials.
Micrometals Inductor Software is a flexible user friendly tool designed to assist in the selection of iron powder cores. The software file size is 1.5 MB.
The user will have the opportunity to select from five different inductor applications:
1) Design of DC output inductors Differential mode inductors
2) Design of controlled swing inductors where the inductance does not exceed a maximum value at reduced current.
3) Design of wide swing inductors utilizing a composite core of ferrite and iron powder.
4) Design of a power factor boost or buck inductor, commonly referred to as a PFC choke.
5) Design of 60 Hz dimmer inductor
6) Design of a Resonant Converter Inductor
The program accepts user defined design requirements in terms of required inductance, dc resistance, dc bias current and applied ac voltage. The user has the option of specifying core geometry (i.e. Toroid, E-Core or Ferrite/Iron Powder Composite), specific core materials or all materials, metric units or English units, maximum window fill factor, temperature rise, ambient temperature, etc.
This program will automatically calculate the smallest core size possible and will display;
1) Micrometals Part Number
2) Approximate unit price
3) Core AL Value
4) Required Number of Turns
5) Wire Size
6) Percent Window Fill
7) DC Winding Resistance
8) B ac
9) Percent Initial Permeability
10) Core Loss
11) Copper Loss
12) Temperature Rise.
In addition, new features alow the user to analyze specific designs as well as check the core's operating temperature vs. time for thermal aging analysis of designs.
The software allows the design engineer to quickly work up multiple design solutions based on user specified electrical requirements which all can easily printed for hard copies. Designs can also be saved to a file by using the 'F' key.
The following are definitions of the units utilized by the design software:
per turn squared (nH/N2) US
value at 2,500 pieces DC
Resistance Ohms Peak AC
Flux Gauss Core
Loss Watts Copper
Loss Watts Temperature
Nanohenries per turn squared (nH/N2)
Approximate value at 2,500 pieces
Peak AC Flux
The design program is automatically set to default to an ambient temperature of 25°C in free standing air with maximum temperature rise of 40°C.
Micrometals Inductor Software is a flexible user friendly tool designed to assist in the selection of iron powder cores. The software is a DOS based program with a file size of 250KB.This version "2000b" of the design software is for 'beta' release only.
RF-Toroid was written as a supplement to the Micrometals RF Application catalog.
Much emphasis was put into calculating the location of the Self resonate frequencies for series and shunt inductors. RF-Toroid is for use DC to 300 MHz. Much research went in to the calculation and corrections from the standard formulas for low perm phenolic cores to better predict the RF style of winding and application.
Some features include:
1) SRF for series and shunt cores, peak Q curve ranges and 200 360 degree coverage to achieve the best product possible for the microwave designer who needs accurate and abundant information at the finger tips to compare one core to another simultaneously.
2) The custom core feature allows for custom shaped cores, stacking cores side by side , ferrite cores and machining custom phenolic cores from plastic, wood, etc...
We hope this tool will serve you well.